Friday, January 21, 2005

My sister-in-law, Mindy, recommended that we watch a film called Heavens Above. Given that all I knew about it was that it was a 60s film about religion starring Peter Sellers, I was a bit skeptical. My skepticism was unfounded. This was a terrific movie, and one of the best blends of Christian idealism (in the sense of "go sell all you have and give to the poor") and realistic consequences (fickle, scheming poor people, local economic collapse) that I've ever run across in any form. The only draw back is that it focusses almost entirely on the interpersonal charity aspect of the gospel that it ignores a lot of other essential Christian themes. But it handles the idea of charity so well that I have no hesitation in recommending it to you. It's very funny as well.

No comments: