Sunday, February 02, 2003

I suppose it's just me, but I question the way we handle tragedies as a society. Everyone knows about the space shuttle disaster yesterday which killed seven astronauts. It was mentioned twice in our service this morning. But on the scale of almost 300 million people in this country, seven deaths doesn't seem like much. Certainly it means much to the coworkers, friends and families of those people, but when all is said and done, there will probably be more deaths, not to mention the dozens of injuries, from the plant explosion in Kinston, NC. Kinston is certainly much closer to our church than any NASA facility, yet it didn't get mentioned. I'm just puzzled, much as I was puzzled by those in our country who were quite shaken by the death of Princess Diana. Of course it's news and is worth mentioning and discussing, but really, what impact does this have on our lives?

Sorry to be so cold about this.

No comments: