Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I was remembering a conversation I had with a friend a few months ago. It was one of those that started, " I don't know if I should tell you this, but . . .", you know that sort of conversation. The end result of this one, as it turned out, was to upset me about someone else who, in my estimation, exhibited a fairly bad attitude towards me. The more I have thought about that particular situation, the more I have thought, "I wish I just hadn't been told." Perhaps the next time someone opens with that line to you, or you plan on saying it to someone else, you should ask, is this going to build people up? Will this reflect badly on one or more parties? We tend to blurt out all kinds of things in the name of "truth" that really should be kept hidden. Sometimes it seems difficult to keep information to ourselves. Well, sometimes being virtuous is difficult. It wouldn't be praiseworthy if it was easy.

No comments: