Tuesday, December 02, 2003

For those of you too cheap to have bought Stan Hauerwas' books, you can watch him lecture in streaming video here. This lecture touches on a lot of the themes I've picked up in his books. You will undoubtedly find something there you dislike/disagree with, but there hasn't been an author in the last ten years of my life (or perhaps ever) who has made me do as much hard thinking as Hauerwas. Just one note for those unfamiliar with him: when he says universities create the kind of people who support George Bush, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that if it were four years ago he would have said Clinton instead. He's not at all a political partisan, unles you count the church as a party. The lecture is one hour and thirty eight minutes, but you can always pause it or come back to it later as I did. Much better use of your time than tv if that's your other option.

No comments: