Friday, January 02, 2004

I have floating around in my brain now some ideas for a paper on the subject of music as a chritian practice. Not quite sure where to start, other than reviewing MacIntyre's statements on practices. I'm just kinda continually irritated by the fact that in our culture music is not something that one practices, but rather something that is always in the background, or that one accomplishes by pushing a button on a machine, or improves through spending more and more money on equiptment. As Lenise and I were having a good time at a couple of recent holiday parties I was thinking about the fact both of the hosts found it prudent to "play" holiday music during the festivities. This was mitigated by the fact that at the first party we did actually have someone play a keyboard and sing together.

If anyone knows of any publications which deal with public participation in music activities, please feel free to forward them to me.

No comments: