Saturday, February 09, 2002

I suppose that since I am the only man in America to have both seen The Count of Monte Cristo and finished reading the book the same day, that I may be entitled to comment on it. My comment would be this. DON'T READ THE BOOK AND EXPECT THE MOVIE TO BE LIKE THAT. Sorry for the shouting.

My opinion of the film is entirely colored by the book, and is therefore probably worthless. I have heard film reviewers praise it, so it might be good entertainment for those who don't have preconceptions of what the plot should be. Admittedly it would be something of a challenge to present an eleven hundred page book into a two hour movie. But to me, at least, the whole sense of the thing was lost.

To illustrate, in the novel the title character, having made his escape from prison and finding his fortune, works invisibly behind the scenes for YEARS, preparing intricate plots, assuming many identities, and creating a fabulous reputation for himself to assist him in his goal of revenge. In the film, he states to his servant that he will not simply act in direct violence against his enemies, but rather will find out everything about them and proceed to bring them to ruin and despair. Yet what he actually does is set up one quite simple plot, followed in fact by direct violence agaist said enemies.

Again, I don't know if you will enjoy seeing the movie. I can tell you this though; if you want to see a thorough and subtly plotted revenge story, read the book.

No comments: