Sunday, October 20, 2002

Heading out for vacation tomorrow morning, so this will be the last blog til next week (unless I blog in the morning before I go). A wonderfully generous couple at our church gives out use of their mountain cabin for a very small fee to cover utilities. Same place we went on our honeymoon, which was good cuz we were quite broke then. We had our fourth anniversery on the 17th and my wife had her first 29th birthday today, so we've been celebrating a bit. Unfortunately, my wife sems to have contracted something or other, so we're hoping this doesn't ruin our vacation plans too much.

On the plus side, we just finished up our church missions conference, or Global Outreach, as I believe the new term is. Dr Walter Kaiser was our guest speaker this year. We've always had only top notch people in for our conferences in the past, and this year was certainly no exception. Dr. Kaiser, if you haven't heard him yourself, is very warm and funny in his speeches. He was one of my very favrite guest speakers when I was a student at Houghton. One of the highlights (from Saturday night) was him saying, "The english versions never translate this correctly. I did the NIV translation for this book, but the committees overruled me on this verse." If you care to know what it was, the verse in question is from II Samuel 7. Verse 19 in the NIV says ". . .Is this your usual way of dealing with people?" The word in the Hebrew is Torah, which of course is law or commandment generally.

Ok, time to start packing.

No comments: